Search This Blog

Monday, April 18

Day one ...

The flights from Austin to LA to Tokyo were uneventful, and smooth. As usual we had mixed reactions to Stone at the beginning of the flight - as people seemed to expect the worst - and by the time the doors opened to exit most were all smiles, as he sleeps and eats and giggles on planes ... so far. One individual on the AUS - LAX segment suggested that Joan and I write a book, upon which I pondered the title: "Raising kids without knowing what your doing" - I am sure it will sell millions as it is a blank journal ...

In Tokyo, we gathered our bags, found our way to the bag courier (as they cart your large luggage to your final destination), found our way to the cargo customs desk (for our air shipment arriving in the near future) and found our way to the bus ticketing booth; doubling back about three times. Without hesitation the eldery women of Japan smile and start speaking directly to Stone, grabbing his feet and hands - I smile and bow - not only as a sign of respect, but also to give them a view of his cheerful face. In the airport, we received lots of warm smiles and greetings and of course a few surprised looks. At least two folks used hand signals to comment on the size difference between father and son.

The bus carted us to our luxurious stay at the Grand Hyatt, Tokyo - and after thirty hours or so of travel, the room was a welcome resting spot. I had not slept since leaving Austin, Joan had Stone had slept some on the planes ... so after a meal - I passed out until the next morning. The cherry blossoms had previously peaked in Tokyo, so the blossom leaves were falling - Stone and I took a walk around the block the next morning to let Joan rest - thus a few pictures were snapped.


I'll report more later ... and often.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad your journey there went well! Can't wait to hear about all of the upcoming adventures! Love, Julie, Amy, Cullen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!
    Love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete