Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26

June 26, 2012

Stone continues to surprise on a consistent basis from a developmental point of view.  Not that we should be surprised of course, as one does expect the little human to develop into a fully functioning individual human at some point down the line.  Just a few highlights below ...

Communication: while he is not really sounding things out just yet, he understands far more than we give him credit for.  When he hears the dreaded word NO, he responds with DOH - his way of letting us know that whatever he was doing is not really allowed.  You can ask for any specific toy or thing that you like and as long as he has previously heard it described, he will make an attempt at gathering it (assuming he is in the mood to "perform").  During the week, I was completing the normal laundry routine and we need to go gather things from the dryer (in another building).  So I said lets go get laundry.  He knows that getting laundry means going outside, which he gets excited for of course.  I went to the front door to wait for him, and waited, waited longer then continued to wait.  A good minute or so goes by and I ask if he does not want to go - as I was finishing my question he was rounding the corner with a bag of clean (unfolded) baby clothes.  Effectively he thought that he would help by taking the bag of clothes to the laundry room.  I laughed and thought it is about time he starts getting chore assignments!

He seems to be exhibiting a bit of my shyness that I had as a child as now in public he tends to hide his face and get very close to either mom or dad whenever anyone talks to him.  About the only exception to this is if there are little kids around, then he is still as curious as he can be.

This morning he decided to get up with the sunrise and even though we are still in early summer, the sunlight starts coming through the windows just before 4:00 am.  He has not done that in quite some time, and thus we are all a bit tired.  At some point he was asked - ok told - not to do something or get into something and he curled the bottom lip and opened the sad little eyes and went to say sorry.  He does this by giving you a hug and patting you gently on the arm, letting you know it is all ok.  Then he will let go and go about his business.  A bit later in the morning he finally did a second chore that I have been waiting for him to master.  I had left a few cans of beer in cooler bags on the kitchen floor as I have not taken them out to the beer fridge as of yet.  So while I was still enjoying my coffee, Stone rounded the corner from the kitchen with a beer in hand!  Hooray, my very own 18 month old beer fetcher!

As many comment when they get to see him, he is getting quite large.  Yet from my perspective he seems to stay the same.  Good to know that both are true and always will be.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment