Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15

September 15, 2011

We have created a monster ...

Joan and I knew that one day Stone would begin preferring food to milk - we are at that crossroad.  Over that past couple of days, despite giving him twice the normal amount of sustenance in a bottle, he still demands good old fashioned food.  Seemingly overnight, he can now take in about three times the amount of whatever you are giving him.  So we are plowing through everything we cook for him.  To date, his favorites being applesauce and beans.  We can effectively trick him into eating nearly anything if we mix it with applesauce ... and some of these combinations are quite unique to say the least.

Yesterday, our most recent rain cycle finished, so I took him out in the trailer to meander toward a local farmer's market for some shopping.  The road we took had a few sections of construction, thus the asphalt was missing and we rode over the exposed base substrate.  As we were exiting the last section something punctured the rear tire and I could hear the sealant trying to seal the issue.  We went up the little rise and I stopped as the sealant was not working ... I looked at the cut and felt as though the sealant should have worked ... but no such luck.  I truly hate getting flats, to the extent  that I considered walking back the 5 miles, which is ridiculous of course.  So I disconnected the trails, and got the tire changed.  As I removed the tire from the rim I figured out why it would not seal - not enough sealant as this tire had been mounted for some time.

After the change, and reconnection, we were off to the store.  Stone was very patient during the change, simply playing with a few toys that had found their way into the trailer.  We arrived at the store and a few folks wandered over to the bike as they had not seen such a trailer before, and when they saw Stone they figured out what it was for.  As usual he was a hit in the store.  We got him loaded, the groceries loaded, and after a drink from the vending machine (I was turned onto a tall can of "orange juice" sold in these - about 10% juice and 90% sugar water) we were off to head back home.  All in all, a good excursion ...

Today we are off on a day trip to Misawa, and then tonight, more basketball with the locals ...

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment