As I type there are less than 24 hours left until the Rugby World Cup begins in New Zealand. Now considering the fires that are destroying my home state and damn near to my actual home, the newest natural disaster in Japan, the continual killing of protestors in Syria, failing global credit system, and a few other things I follow in the "news" I am ready to take a bit of a selfish mind-numbing multi-week journey to watching the next crowning of the "kings" of the international rugby world. I at one time had planned to be there for the WC; however, a little one and a relocation to Japan have changed those plans ... good thing there is a WC every four years, thus I have quite an opportunity to see one in person in the future, and perhaps even see someone I know playing in one!
Speaking of the little one, or future rugby player, or dentist, or jazz flutist, or waste management employee, or mad scientist, or well - the possibilities are limitless ... he has developed a few new tricks in the past few days. Over the weekend Joan had put some tiny cymbals in his hands that came with a noise making play set that we acquired when he was younger. As usual he was happy to try anything and smiled as he was taught the lesson. Fast forward a couple of days and I was at home with him, busy doing something else, when I heard the distinctive sound of clang clang clash! He had found himself near the cymbals, picked them up (correctly) and began smashing them together. After the first few hits, he turned and looked and giggled, then commenced smashing again. So now he will crawl around and pick up other toys to see what they sound like when smashed together. My favorite is the cymbal soft toy combo - very cute and easy on the ears.
As a secondary action, he has started to clap his hands together even without anything in them to smash together. While he occasionally misses and his hands fly past each other, he is very pleased with his newfound skill. He has not quite mastered "arms up"; however, I am sure that will come in time.
And who would have guessed it ... we were having dinner at the officer's club on the Japanese base last night, and we did not bring any food with us. Joan ordered french fries, we smashed them, and guess who really likes smashed potatoes? Yep, you are correct, me! And it also turns out that Stone likes them as well - he finished off quite a few and for the first night in a long time Mom did not get up until 7:00 am, as one little fellow slept through the night. Who knew, french fries had such magical powers.
Stone is nearly standing freely, he can sustain balance for a few seconds at best, then plops over in one direction or another. If I had to guess, he will be bi-pedal in another month or so ... just as we enter the cold months here in the North. Hooray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment