Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30

October 30, 2011

Yesterday (10/29) Stone, Joan, Matt (a co-worker of Joan's) and I went on a small biking excursion.  I finally got Joan's bike put together (you may recall that when her frame originally got here, it was bent thus we had to get a new frame shipped) thus we needed to get out on an initial ride to "work out" the kinks and make sure everything was fitting correctly.  So we meandered to the beach taking the most direct and paved route; stopping there so that I could take Stone down the sea wall and onto the shore where we found some nice shell samples for collection.  From the beach we made our way back up and over to the local farmer's market where Joan and Matt and Stone shopped as I did more tinkering with Joan's bike.

After the shopping was done, we decided to see how Stone would do with a slide.  He has yet to be on any sort of playscape, as of course he is still getting the balance thing down.  Next to the market is a large open field and a small toddler sized playscape.  I placed him on his butt at the top of the slide, and held his hands as he slid down to Mommy.  Upon this first go, we got a bit of a smile, so up into my arms back to the top.  With each slide down a more and more happy child emerged to the point of trying to turn and climb back up after the third or fourth time down.  Even a small knock on the head after a slide down (he gently hit the guardrail on the side of the slide) did not deter him.  However, the sun was fading and the temps were dropping and it was time to return home for the day.

Within the last week or so he has also changed in his sleeping habits.  He has been sleeping through much of the night, perhaps waking once or twice for a bottle (if that).  During the day has been the most significant difference as he only wants a nap twice, if that.  I knew that the day would come where he required more and more activity time and we are here ... at the onset of Winter!

Today Stone and I headed out on a hike around town to take advantage of the fact that it was not raining (as it was supposed to be).  A cloudy and cool day did not lead to too much excitement; although, he did make a new friend in the form of a goat ... During the afternoon hours, Joan and Stone headed to a Halloween party hosted by her company.  Stone was a hit as he crawled circles around everyone and loved watching the other kids in the room.  He was only afraid of one costume, otherwise all smiles.

I took the opportunity to ride to the other side of the peninsula, and it was not a particularly noteworthy ride other than I had my first monkey sighting.  There was a large male and a second smaller (I assume female).  They crossed the road in front of me.  I stopped and we observed each other.  He then proceeded up a tree and onto the power lines - taking the lines over to another group of trees.  I tried to get a few pictures with my phone, even asking it by name (hey monkey) to wait; however, the pictures I did get were not even worth posting.  At least now I know what I am looking for when I have a better camera with me.

Pictures from the weekend in the new Japan album.

Link to the wikipedia page on the local "monkeys".

No comments:

Post a Comment