Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26

May 26, 2012

Stone had his first "official" babysitting Thursday morning.  Joan had inquired through one of the interpreters if there would be anyone locally available to sit for Stone during the week so that I can get out a bit and play.  One thing that was required was some knowledge of English as I can not communicate in Japanese at all (shamelessly at this point).  A military wife, mother and English student, Asami, met with the three of us a few weeks ago and we were set for her first babysitting session and then we all got sick.  After everyone's recovery and a good day of weather she and Stone got to play while I went on a ride.  They had a great time and when I got home he was ready for a nap.  In her words, "He was a very good boy."

Later that day after his nap and subsequent feeding frenzy we went out on a ride.  As usual he was strapped into the center of the trailer with toys around him and I was mushing around the local roads exploring and watching the world go by at a rather slow place.  The wind was sort of ... coming from every direction.  It was predominately coming from the North; however, as you entered a lane that was surrounded by trees it swirled around.  So for the most part the wind was in my face or pulling on the trailer the entire time ... of course this will simply help me get in shape faster!  As we were on the way back, making one of the last turns towards home, I took a corner a bit "short" and thought nothing of it.  I heard a strange sound as if the rear tire was rubbing on something metal, which evidently it was as the next thing I knew I heard rub rub rub thump.  The next thing I know I was pulled to the ground and we all slid to a stop!

The best I can guess is that the trailer hit a bump that sent it "onto one wheel" and then the arm that connects the carrier to the bike grabbed the rear tire and then the rear tire sent the carrier up and over and then the carrier lifted the bike into the air and thus I fell back to the planet with the bike on top of me.  We had no witnesses to the event, with the exception of the trees, bugs and birds.  I immediately looked back at Stone who had only slide over a bit and he was making his something between "lets go and uh oh" sound.  He also still had his bottle in his hands (which I had given him on the "home stretch").  So I returned the carrier to its upright and fully locked position, inspected the rear wheel and my leg and we were off.  Now I know what that experience is like!

The next morning Stone got another sitting session, from Mike who left for the states today (Saturday), allowing me a third day in a week to get a ride in (I know I'm too spoiled as it is).  Off I went to the trail that I had explored a few weeks ago and was turned back by snow.  This forest / jeep road effectively goes uphill all of the way - about 7 kilometers and ends as a stream washed out the few branches that once served as a bridge.  I crossed over the wash out as you could still make out the path winding up the mountain.  I only made it a few hundred feet as it was effectively a drainage area and was very difficult to ride.  Thus I decided to turn around and head back.

On the way up I had seen at least a dozen cars parked on the side of the road with locals wandering around plucking things from the forest floor.  Most seemed to be gathering greens of many varieties.  As usual I got a varied display of "looks" as I passed: a few smiles, most though were somewhere between shock and bewilderment.  Recreational cycling is very rare this far north, and I am sure the sight of me is noteworthy on the side of a random mountain.  Thus I knew that on the descent I would need to be cautious as I might come around the corner and meet a vehicle.

As I just started the descent (passed the washout) a vehicle was coming up a very steep and narrow section - the "top" was only about thirty feet behind me.  I stopped set the bike to the side and stood to the side myself.  They approached and I recognized the vehicle and the man and woman from earlier (when I had passed them on the way up they both exclaimed and chatted for a while as I continued crawling up the hill).  He stopped just short of me, and got out (the woman kept nodding and smiling) and started asking me a few questions.  As I looked at him with a blank stare I had guessed he was asking if I had made it up and around, which I had not.  I looked back and pointed (there was a truck parked at the top) and crossed my arms (the universal sign for "no" in Japan) and then made the "walking fingers" sign and moved my hand up to indicate that I had to walk to go further.  He smiled and continued to say many things.  I smiled and slightly bowed. He went back to the truck and the woman was still smiling and nodding.  As they drove by to head to the top to turn around he said thank you as they passed, and the woman waved and smiled and nodded.

As expected I did "run into" traffic a few times on the descent.  I came across two vehicles going up and three going down.  In each case I was much faster that those going down and they were all kind enough to stop and let me pass.  What took a good 50-60 minutes to climb took a mere 15 is minutes to descend.  So, not a loop as the other trail I like, but I plan to return and carry hiking shoes with me so that once I get to "the end" I can switch shoes (as hiking in cycling shoes is not preferable) and see how far the trail goes up the mountain.

No photos with this particular update, so I know I will have to make up for that shortly ;).

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment