Search This Blog

Monday, June 20

June 20, 2011

Two hikes ...

I knew that I wanted to go on a hike today, the weather was going to be perfect and I had an exact plan on the route I wanted to take.  After Stone's morning nap, we loaded up and headed over the pass on road 2, and parked at the second parking lot for the trails that we had explored previously.  Essentially we were approaching the "midway" viewing tower from the SW as opposed to the route we had previously taken twice.

The parking area was smaller and the entrance less grand, thus I expected the trail to be a bit less used.  All in all, the path was easy to follow, and there was very little debris on the route.  It was significantly more steep in the beginning, with about 1 kilometer of switchbacks getting over the first hill, then you start winding around the hill side amongst the trees and ferns and bugs and such.

Stone was being rather vocal in  a semi-unpleasant way.  I could not tell if he was unhappy, if he wanted me to go faster (he kept pulling at the back of my head on the little amount of hair he can grab) or if he wanted a better view (as if to remove my head from the equation) ... In any event we paused for a few photos; however, we mostly kept moving.  As we approached the summit, I recalled I left my Japanese pocket guidebook in the truck and thought, "I really need to carry that at all times".  On the last hike in this area, Stone and I ran into a local taking photos as well, he began to chat with me; however, I could not reciprocate - he smiled and waved and went on his way ... opportunity lost.

Sure enough as I see the tower and seating area "on top" there is a group having a rest and eating and drinking.  Damn, I would really like to say something other than hello ... and I know they will want to know all about Stone.  I whispered to Stone to cheer up, he was about to have lots of attention paid to him.  They waved as they saw us coming and I said hello, and they all smiled and said the same.  One of the ladies cleared a spot at the table and I placed the pack on the table and "unloaded" for a bit.  They adored Stone and as usual he soaked it up - flirting with anyone he chooses to.  One of the four had a few English words; however, not enough for us to really communicate.

I swapped lenses for the return trip and the women continued to make noise and touch and tickle Stone, and take a couple of photos of him.  As I was about to reload the pack onto me, one of them motioned (tapped) the seat to invite me to stay for a while - again without any means to communicate I chose to simply move on, thanking her in my language.  She smiled, seeming to understand, and when I placed my back against the pack, she moved the shoulder straps on for me ... so helpful!

So we continued the way we came back down the hill, this time with the wider angled (shorter) lens on.  The trees here are great.  That is not to say that the rest of the flora is not spectacular, it is; however, by far the trees steal the show.  Once you begin to recognize the species you begin to notice the slight variations and age of some of them.  Granted they are not the redwoods of the Pacific coast in the states - those are simply a breed unto themselves ... The nice thing about the trees here is the variety in one hillside.  And the people, being more in tune with nature as a whole, tend to care a bit differently for them - especially on these nature trails.  Even trees fifty to one hundred feet off of the trail have been "assisted" at times with dead fall.  The result is a very healthy and very diverse visual experience.

We made it back to the vehicle and as usual he was asleep after a couple of hours of hiking.  So, loaded him into the car and proceeded back toward home.  We took a side trip to Joan's site as she had some food ready.  She came out to see us - as I do not have access to get in (unescorted) and while she was there took time to chat and feed Stone.  I had heard (and seen the signs) about beach access just "below" the site, and after Joan left us, we took the truck toward the beach.

The gravel road came to a T - one way I assumed went to the beach (which you can see from this point - your simply still about 50 feet above) and the other led to a work facility.  So I proceeded on thinking we could get down to the beach.  As we got closer, you could indeed get onto the beach; however, there was a relatively steep approach and the only "tracks" where either footprints or the tread pattern left by the excavators that I saw at the work site.  I assumed that the excavators where heavy enough to pack the sand down for the return trip up the dune.

Wrong.

I got onto the beach and it was unremarkable as far as beaches in the area, so put the vehicle in 4WD and spun around to head up the dune ... All went well until about halfway up when I lost momentum and as you can guess four wheels spinning at once.  So I quickly stop and back down the dune to got into Low ... Things seem better; yet, again once I get to the halfway point momentum is gone and I can feel the tires digging in.  OK, back down again, back into 4WD high and this time I will approach with speed on the outside of the previous path ... Great Plan!

The sand pushes the vehicle back into the same path I was on previously and this time the front left wheel really digs in ... So back into reverse (once I started backing up sand flew over the front of the car as I exited the newly formed ditch :) ) ... and back down to sea level.  I am now defeated - I can not get the car back up the incline.

I recall there being three excavators on top of the hill - I do not recall seeing anyone there - I have not been trained on how to use one - I do not speak Japanese ... I load Stone back into the backpack, put the hiking shoes back on and head out fully expecting to have to walk back to Joan's site, have the security desk call her, hand over Stone - then try to figure out how to get the truck back from the seaside.

Remember that note earlier about me thinking I should always have my Japanese guidebook with me ... yep, I am that forgetful.  In my haste to begin hiking to drop Stone off, I leave the guidebook in the truck.  As I get to the T in the road, I hear folks working, hooray - I can get a tow!  I approach and say hello, the three men working turn and say the same.

Su mi ma sen (excuse me), anyone speak English?

Shaking of heads and something spoken in Japanese.  Then laughing as they realize why I am walking up the hill.

I make the back and forth steering wheel motion, then flatten my hand as if to say sinking, then point down the hill.

More laughter.

One of them points at the excavator and another grabs some cable ... I say thank you and excuse me (about all I can think to say that I know in Japanese at the moment) about fifty times.  They smile as if to say, your not the first.  Which I am sure I am not.

As I walk down the hill with one of the fellows, he mentions that Stone is cute and I thank him.  He sees how far I made it and smiles, giggling a little as I put my hands out as if to say, almost!  The excavator arrives and we connect everytihng and without any issue we get dragged up the hill. I again offer thanks and make a motioning gesture with my hands while saying sake?  They laugh and wave me off ... Another silly gajin rescued from the sand.

I have glued the guidebook to my forehead.

A few images in Stone's album and the On Foot album.

1 comment:

  1. What no pictures of being pulled out? I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete