Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23

June 23, 2011

This morning we had the most significant earthquake during our time here so far.  A 6.7 magnitude located about 130 miles to the Southeast of us, originating about 2 miles below the surface.  Just before 7:00 am: Stone was playing on his mat, getting in some crawling practice.  Joan was getting into the shower as she had to be on a call at 7:00 am and I was snoozing in bed.  I was about to drift back to sleep when I felt the bed shake, and I figured Joan wanted me to look at Stone ... When I looked up she was not there (in the bedroom) and I realized it was a quake.  There was nothing near Stone than could fall on him, and as I was getting up to get him and tell Joan it stopped.  It was quite gentle, as someone was simply rocking the house a couple of inches back and forth.  It stopped after about 15 seconds and that was the extent of it.

There were a flurry of work related calls just after, and as with our house, no services were interrupted or damage was caused.  By all accounts coming in thus far, there was little to no damage anywhere and no Tsunami was generated.  Simply a gentle reminder about our location on the planet and its volatility.

We went about our morning, and Joan departed for "the office" ... Stone is relatively easy to babysit these days as he is content to get this crawling thing down; so once you change, feed and burp him he is ready to get down and work out until he is ready to pass out.  I wonder where he gets this work ethic from ;).

At one point he was up on all fours, nothing new as he has been getting to that point for a few weeks ... this time I was watching ... and I could see the problem starting.  He is ready to jump start this process and get to his feet.  He paused, then started rocking back and forth, each limb working together in perfect unison.  He then rocked back, butt to the ground, and leaped forward into the air landing right on his face (ironically the same side of the face I landed on about a week ago).  I giggled as I knew what was next, and of course, once he took a deep breath he was quite upset that his failure ended in pain.

I gathered him and he quickly calmed down and kept looking back at the ground ... Alright I thought, you want more, good boy, master it!  So, I took him to his room where we had placed a small collection of soft "tiles" so he could scoot around and fall on his face with minimal pain.  I then got the larger set of tiles that was still being stored and began to place them around the couch and the available crawl space in the living area.  In the end I got about 60% of the available floor space covered in softer material.  On the next trip to Misawa we will pick up some more and I will try to fill in the gaps as he is obviously only a few days (or hours) from mobility.

A few images of the new floor in Stone's album.

No comments:

Post a Comment