Stone and I went on another scouting trip today. According to the posted sign at the gate for the gravel road I wanted to preview as a potential mountain bike pass over the mountains, yesterday the road should have been open to the public. However, I planned for the gates again to be closed: I packed up stuff for the boy and water and food for me, in the event we got there and we got to go for a hike as opposed to taking the truck up and over. The Western gate is just above a damn, close to the coast that we live on. The gate I had previously visited was on the Eastern side - again close to a coast, just one on the other side of the peninsula from us.
We passed the damn, and arrived at the gate which was wide open. So, I stopped, parked, snapped a couple of photos of the damn and locked the 4WD in low, assuming this would get interesting. It got very interesting, and as I type this I am sure there are a couple of grandmothers and perhaps a mommy shaking their heads at me :).
At best the road had fresh gravel, and was somewhat grated wide enough for one vehicle. At worst, springs and streams seeped down the road over exposed rock and washed out corners. I do not mean to indicate that it was not safe, you just had to take your time - which of course is the point. Being out, windows down listening to the life and water around you as you crawl over the mountains. I was most surprised by the amount of traffic - and the types of vehicles that were out. One fellow was in a very low riding two door car that was smoking - he had to throw it in reverse for me to get by and blue grey smoke spewed from the car ... fortunately he was almost done with the drive. The rest of the vehicles seemed more "off road" worthy; however, still vehicles you would see on the open road. That being said, vehicles in this area are all all wheel drive.
Most of the drive was under canopy - rarely did you get a clear view of the surrounding mountains, and valleys - and this added to the mystery of the road and where you were on the planet. There were a large number of water falls and streams that the road passed over - a few were rather noteworthy from a photo perspective as you will see.
I had previously thought that it was one pass, that is one up and one down; however, the road goes over two passes. So this changes my strategy slightly for cycling on the road - it actually gives me a chance to refresh and refuel before heading over the second pass. After the drive, I am super duper excited to tackle it on my mountain bike. As it took two hours in the truck, I anticipate something between 5-7 hours on the bike, depending on a number of X factors. Norbert (the triathlete) is interested in joining me - so there will be at least two of us crawling over the hills.
I will post the ride report once I complete it,
Images.
No comments:
Post a Comment